Sunday, March 11, 2012

An Evening Out With The Madre

I have currently finished two amazing trimesters at Johnson and Wales.  It's hard to believe that my first year at Culinary is 2/3rds of the way done!  To be honest, I'm loving it.

Two weeks ago was my Spring Break, which, at Johnson and Wales is one downside: You have breaks when no one else in the world does. My mom picked me and all my "junk" up from school after my last final and treated me to a delicious meal at Penny Lane Pub in Old Saybrook, CT.  It's not too bright in the building and we were even accompanied by a one act acoustic guitar guy.  After hearing a few covers, we REALLY wanted him to stop.

(I apologize for the grainy picture, it was dark)

I was craving fish, much to my mother's surprise.  I never ate fish until I forced myself to at culinary school.  I kept telling myself that you cannot succeed if you continue to hate the flavor of fish.  So, whenever it was on the menu in one of the dining room classes, I ordered it.  I learned that not every fish is going to taste like the ocean AND my younger days of hating the flavor has changed.

Anyway, the special was "Pan Seared Halibut with Sautèed Bok Choy, Rice Pilaf, and Mango Sauce". My mouth watered.

(Bok Choy is nicknamed the "Chinese Cabbage")

It was sooooooo good!! It didn't take me that long to finish the three inch deep bowl. I was so hungry and hadn't tasted "real" food in soooo long. (You would think a culinary school has an excellent meal plan....FALSE.)  The fish was not overcooked and the bok choy was sautéed perfectly.  The rice didn't have too much flavor which I thought was a good choice because of the other flavors in the dish.  The only complaint that I had was that the mango sauce barely tasted of mangoes.  They put too much mustard seed in it so it tasted more like a mustard than anything else.

After my mom and I finished our meals, we decided to order a dessert.  Our choice was Peppermint Ice Cream Pie. It had an oreo crust which complimented the peppermint ice cream very nicely.

(Good thing we ordered a "small")

After finishing our dessert, we slowly wobbled out the front door (we did pay of course).
If anyone is in the Old Saybrook area I greatly recommend this place.

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY!!! Everything sounds so good, although I'll admit to be afraid of fish...you'll have to show me how to appreciate it, please.

    PS: you need to update this more often, maybe to food you're making? :)

    ReplyDelete